For those of you who don't keep a tab of this blog open and refresh it every two seconds like I do, there was a comment inquiring about my favorite "ii-V-I" song.
In short, there are just too many to pick. SOOOOOOOOOO many songs use a "ii-V-I" cadence, or some kind of substitution there of, that it's almost a question of what my all-time favorite song is. That being said, I will give you a list of songs that do it best because what kind of loser would I be if I didn't?
First up, "All the Things You Are" composed by Jerome Kern with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II. It's a beautiful little standard written for the musical Very Warm for May (1939). Just about every jazz-man and jazz-woman you can think of has recorded this song. I would go on to say that, based on the common knowledge of the chord progression, it's almost like a blues; any musician worth their salt will know this song. Anywhozit, this song has so many "ii-V" progressions in it, it'll make your head spin.
This is a very cool version of it. There may be other versions, but this one blows the roof off in respects to coolness.
Next, "These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You)" with music by Jack Strachey and words by Eric Maschwitz. This one follows the "vi-ii-V-I" pattern. This one is very popular as well. Everyone from Bryan Ferry to Thelonious Monk has recorded it.
Here is Bryan Ferry's version:
And here is Thelonious Monk's version (I like to call him Melodious Thunk, but that's just a little side note):
Now, for the second part of you question pertaining to tonality and key. I can tell you that "All the Things You Are" is pretty much always done in Ab (A flat. When will the "flat" symbol become a permanent fixture on keyboards?!). I haven't had to play it in any other keys, but I'm sure it has been done. It's a blast to play it in any key! Any chord tone you hit will sound amazing because of the way the chords change. It's a very nice song to solo over.
"These Foolish Things" is done in a variety of keys. I've seen it in C, G, and F sometimes. I do it in C because I like to sing along with it, and that is in a nice part of my range. A lot of instrumentalists do it in Eb (where is that damn "flat" symbol!!). I personally can't sing it in Eb very well. It's just too high in some parts. When I play with people that are reading it, I do it in Eb because that's how they're reading it.
Well Aleeka, I hope this answered your question! Let me know if you have any other musical query or if I didn't fully answer your first one!
No comments:
Post a Comment